The location of wildfires is of special concern to UAlberta field researchers.

If you voluntarily register for the Field Research Voluntary Registry, you will get emailed updates of wildfires in your area. 

If a wildfire breaks out in your area, please report it to the particular province fire report line (see below) and if you are affected by the fire, please call it in to UAlberta Protective Services (780-492-5050).

Check out the Alberta Wildifire app.  Immediately report a wildfire right from the application.

As of March 29, 2017, there were legislative and regulatory changes in the Forest and Prairie Protection Act to improve public safety as they relate to preventing human-caused wildfires and protecting Albertans from wildfire damage. One of the keys changes are to increase fines for the most severe violations such as knowingly contravening the Act by starting a fire can be fined $100,000 and imprisoned for two years. Industrial users can be fined up $1 million. Specified penalties are summarized here.

The following links to wildfire maps in the following provinces will be useful to check before going out to your field research site:

 Wildfire Map  #to call to report wildfire 
Alberta Wildfires
Alberta Fire Bans
 310-FIRE (3473) - toll free
British Columbia  1-800-663-5555 or call *5555
Manitoba  1-800-782-0076 
NWT 1-877-698-3473
Saskatchewan 1-800-667-9660 
Yukon  1-888-798-3473