Travelling Abroad with Field Equipment


To avoid unnecessary delays and complications with Canadian and Foreign customs agencies, individuals planning to travel outside of Canada with accompanying University equipment should consider the following well in advance of their trips:

        List of equipment

        Export Permits

        Customs Documentation

        Contacts within the UofA; 

Customs Division


List of equipment: Create an itemized list of the University owned equipment including a description of the equipment, its intended use, model/serial and UofA tag numbers, the country of manufacture and value


Export Permits: The application/issuance of an export permit may take several weeks; several factors may determine the requirement for an export permit:

The nature of the equipment or goods – i.e. agricultural products, endangered or protected animal/plant species, Canadian cultural property, nuclear related dual-use equipment or technology, portable personal computers & software

The destination of the equipment or goods – all equipment or goods destined for countries on Canada’s Area Control List (ACL) require a permit regardless of the nature of the goods. Currently those countries are: Belarus; Democratic People’s Republic of (North) Korea; and Myanmar (Burma)

The country of manufacture of the equipment or goods  – all equipment or goods which have been manufactured in the United States of America require either an export permit or export authorization:

Export Permit for US Origin Goods and Technologies is required for all equipment or goods destined for: Cuba, the Democratic People’s Republic of (North) Korea, Iran and Syria

Export Authorization (GEP12) must be cited in lieu of a formal permit on all customs documents for US Origin Goods destined to any country not listed above

Customs Documentation: The type of customs documentation required varies depending upon the value of the equipment or goods, the destination and whether or not an export permit has been issued.

Formal Export Declaration (B13A) – required when the total value of the equipment or goods is greater than $2000 CAD or when an export permit has been issued for any item regardless of its value.  B13A may either be filed electronically with Canada Border Services Agency or a paper declaration may be presented – in either case; the documents must be presented to CBSA not less than 1 hour prior to boarding a flight.

Informal Export Documents – a commercial invoice may be presented in conjunction with a B13A or alone when the value of the goods is less than $2000 and export permits are not required. 

Contacts: The Customs Division in Supply Management Services specializes in Canadian customs requirements. As early as possible in the trip planning stage, individuals within the University community are encouraged to contact the Customs Division who will provide:

  • advice and guidance on customs legislation and regulations, prohibitions and compliance

  • contact information for various Canadian government agencies who may regulate or control a particular type of equipment or goods

  • assistance with export permit applications

  • completion of formal and informal customs declarations

Please contact the UAlberta's Custom Compliance Officer: Rowayne Salvador,  780-492-0982


References: The following links are for Canadian government agencies most often referenced for exporting equipment and goods from the UofA. Please feel free to contact the Customs Division at the numbers above if you have any questions about the content or for information specific to your needs.


Canada Border Services Agency: Customs D Memoranda:

D19 – Acts and Regulations of Other Government Departments;

D20 – Exportations


Canadian Heritage: Movable Cultural Property Program

CITES Canada – Environment Canada (Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna)

Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada: Exporting – Includes links to: Export and Import Permits Act; Export Control List;   A Guide to Canada’s Export Controls; U.S.-Origin Goods and Technology